Crypto slangs have become increasingly popular since the emergence of cryptocurrency. These slang terms are used to refer to common crypto concepts, activities, and people in the industry.
The majority of crypto slang terms are abbreviations or acronyms for the cryptocurrency coins, themselves. From everyday users to experienced professionals, it’s important to be familiar with these terms in order to better understand the world of crypto.
The very basic Cryptocurrency Shorts to start with:
- Bitcoin = ‘The King of Crypto’ is always characterized as BTC. This is first and the the most common symbol you will come across.
- Ethereum = Is the second most popular and biggest by market cap cryptocurrency known as ETH. Ethereum is also known as Ethereum Classic, or ETC.
- Litecoin = Another well-known cryptocurrency characterized as LTC
- Ripple = It is known as XRP. It’s has had plenty of news over the last year.
- Stellar = Also known as Stellar Lumens, going by the short form XLM.
- Dash = Shortened to DSH also remains popular in both the cryptocurrency and trading community. Monero (XMR), EOS (EOS), and Zcash (ZEC) are not far behind.
Here is a list of some of the most commonly used crypto slang terms:
– ATH: “All Time High” is the abbreviation for all-time high. This term is used to describe a coin or token reaching its highest price ever.
– Bagholder: A “bagholder” is an investor who remains invested in a crypto asset long after its value has dropped significantly.
– FOMO: Fear Of Missing Out (FOMO) is typically a feeling among traders that they must invest quickly or risk missing out on a great opportunity.
– HODL: The term “HODL” stands for “Hold On for Dear Life” and is used as an encouragement for investors not to sell their coins during market downturns.
– Mooning: When a coin’s value suddenly skyrockets, it is said to be “mooning”.
– Pump and dump: This term refers to a form of market manipulation in which traders artificially inflate the price of an asset before quickly selling off their holdings for profit.
– Rekt: The slang term “rekt” is used when an investor has taken too much risk and lost money in the markets.
– Whale: A crypto whale is an investor with enough capital to significantly affect the price of a coin or token by buying or selling large amounts.